The AMS Neve 8801 Channel Strip is the exact same channel strip found in the world-renowned Neve 88RS console, featured here in a 1U rackmount design that will bring legendary sound to your recordings. Handbuilt and handwired by Neve, the 8801 Channel Strip combines vibrant microphone preamplification, highly musical 4-band equalization, and amazingly flexible compression and gating. Best of all, its versatile connectivity and routing options make the AMS Neve 8801 Channel Strip equally adept at shaping input sources for recording and processing tracks during mixdown.
Neve console sound in a single rack space
If you’ve ever worked with a Neve console, you know why they hold such a special place in the hearts of professional audio engineers. Bold, rich bass tone. Detailed midrange that portrays every nuance of your sound source. Silky-smooth highs that elevate your mix while never sounding harsh. Neve consoles set the standard for world-class sound quality, and the AMS Neve 8801 Channel Strip will put that iconic sound in your studio rack.
Flexible routing makes this a studio workhorse
For complete flexibility during tracking and mixdown, the AMS Neve 8801 Channel Strip allows you to freely configure its dynamics, EQ, and insert signal routing. Simply press the Audio Router button, then press the Dynamics, EQ, and Insert buttons in the order you wish to arrange them. Engineers and producers at Sweetwater love the option to apply the equalizer to the sidechain signal (removing the EQ from the main signal path), which is perfect for fine-tuning how the dynamics section responds to bass-heavy signals.
Connect with USB for precise Recall of all parameters
Equipped with a USB port on the rear panel, the AMS Neve 8801 Channel Strip is ready to connect to your Mac or PC for saving and recalling settings. By using the AMS Neve Recall software, you can save all parameter and routing settings from the 8801 Channel Strip, and recall them at any time. When you recall one of your saved configurations in the Recall software, the 8801 Channel Strip’s switches and LEDs will be automatically reset — no user intervention required. A rotary control screen will then show you exactly where to rotate the front-panel knobs to align with the preset values, and will display confirmation when you’ve correctly reset everything.
The legend continues
At Sweetwater, the name Neve commands reverence. Rupert Neve started designing audio equipment in the tube console era but made his mark with solid-state designs. Setting up shop in Little Shelford in the ’60s, Mr. Neve faced many obstacles establishing his brand amid a new technological landscape. Transistors were new, expensive, and difficult to obtain in quantity in the UK. Reliable faders didn’t exist yet — a far cry from today’s world, where parts are affordable and readily available from multiple suppliers, all competing to win bids. Nevertheless, Rupert persisted. And by the early 1970s, the Neve company was humming along, taking orders and building custom transformer-balanced consoles for recording and broadcast studios the world over.
Neve 80-series consoles had a huge, punchy, and authoritative sound that defined the sound of ’70s rock. From London to New York to Los Angeles and beyond, top studios were installing Neve desks as fast as they could. By 1978, with the introduction of the majestic 8078 — the pinnacle of handwired analog “production” consoles — and NECAM automation system, Neve boards were the main component of the success formula for any recording studio with world-class aspirations. In the decades since, AMS Neve has innovated with groundbreaking products such as the VR, VX, and 88R series consoles. And today, the company continues to advance the state of the art with cutting-edge pro audio gear that sounds incredible and intelligently addresses the challenges of the digital age.
AMS Neve 8801 Channel Strip Features:
- Exact same channel strip from the Neve 88RS mixing console
- Handbuilt and handwired in Neve’s Burnley, England, facility
- Transformer-coupled Neve mic preamp with 0–70dB gain range
- 4-band parametric EQ and lowpass/highpass filters for masterful tone shaping
- Dynamics section with sidechain input for compression, expansion, gating, and ducking
- Sidechain input via 9-pin D-type connector allows you to apply identical dynamics control over all daisy-chained units
- EQ can be applied to sidechain input signal to fine-tune dynamic response
- Insert path for integrating external processors
- Flexible routing allows you to freely assign signal flow between dynamics, insert path, and EQ
- Individual inputs for mic (XLR), line (XLR/TRS combo), and DI (1/4-inch), with 20dB pad for mic and DI inputs
- Overload indicators at each gain stage help you optimize your signal flow
- Connect with USB to save and recall all parameter settings via Recall software (Mac/PC)
- Up to 16 88-series units can be connected for simultaneous connection to the Recall system
- 8801 Digital Option card (sold separately) adds digital connectivity with sample rates up to 192kHz, plus direct-to-DSD conversion